1. Free Workshops
- Workshops run from 1.5 to 2.5 hours long (without interpretation). Language interpretation can be offerred for free if requested prior to workshop.
- Workshops are scheduled according to our client's needs.
- You may invite New Journey Housing to come to your office and teach any of the workshops for free. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Topics covered: (i) rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords (according to the Residential Tenancies Branch); (ii) importance of paying rent; security deposits; (iii) move-in reports; (iv) pest control and prevention; (v) usual landlord expectations; (vi) being safe in your apartment; (vii) fire safety and prevention; (viii) utility bills, and many more.
- If you complete the rental wokshop, you will receive a "rental training certificate" which features your name and the information which was taught during the workshop. You may use this certificate when applying for rental housing. It can show potential landlords that you are serious about being a responsible tenant.
Home Purchasing Workshop
- Topics include: pros and cons of owning versus renting, mortgages, credit history, saving money on mortgages, possible mortgage payments, interest payments.
- If you have already purchased a home, you are still welcome to take this workshop to help you understand how mortgage works and help you save money on payments.
- Clients who have attended our home ownership workshop are eligible for getting help with finding a house to buy, home maintenance, or utility questions, etc.
Managing your Money Workshop
- Workshop covers valuable information that will help newcomers make wise decisions about their money and finances.
- This workshop covers basic budgeting and money management.
- Topics include identifying financial needs versus wants, saving money for large purchases, managing money for immediate needs such as rent or utility bills, understanding credit and credit cards.
2. Free Counselling Services
New Journey Housing provides one-on-one counselling to newcomers who are searching for rental housing, seeking advice on neighbourhoods, applying for subsidized housing, or has further challenges with a current rental unit. New Journey Housing encourages all our clients to take the Rental Workshop prior to rental counselling.
Home Purchasing Counselling
New Journey Housing provides one-on-one counselling for newcomers who are searching for a home to purchase, have questions about home ownership, or are facing challenges with the house that they already own. If the client has not yet purchased a house, we encourage clients to attend our Home Purchasing Workshop first since many questions will likely be answered through the workshop information.
3. In-Home Visits
New Journey Housing offers in-home visits to clients who have just moved to a new rental home or a house that was purchased. New Journey Housing can go through the house with information about how to care for it, use the utilities properly, or keep it maintained.
4. Home Reviews
New Journey Housing can provide volunteers to review the house that clients who have attended the Home Purchasing Workshop and are considering to purchase a house. Home review volunteers are not licensed home inspectors but have relevant background and skills of building homes. They will walk through the house and provide a check list of key areas that may need serious consideration before buying it.