Safety Advisory: The Governments of Manitoba and North Dakota are predicting a high risk of Spring flooding in 2017. Flooding is hard to predict. This could start as soon as April and continue over the next few months. This means that water from the Red River may cover the land for many miles. Land close to Emerson, Manitoba is expected to be covered by flood water. Flood waters are very dangerous! Lives may be lost.
- Do not try to swim. Flood waters are fast moving even when they appear calm.
- Ditches fill with deep fast moving water.
- Flood waters are icy cold.
- Ditches move water from one field to another through narrow water pipes called culverts.
- In the dark, ditches look the same as shallow water on the field.
Find out more from Manitoba Flood Forecast: http://www.gov.mb.ca/flooding/