Learn how money can work for you
What documents are needed to file a simple tax returns at New Journey Housing
New Journey Housing is taking part in the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program. You must have a simple tax situation to be eligible to our free tax filing service. To learn what simple tax is, click here: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/community-volunteer-income-tax-program/need-a-hand-complete-your-tax-return.html
Below is a list of documents we need to help you file your taxes. You may not have all of them, but provide us those you have.
Be sure to include receipts that pertain ONLY to the period January-December of previous year!
1. Manitoba health card (current) and SIN
2. If you were employed or receiving pension — T4 slips
3. If you were on EIA or social assistance — T5007 slip
4. If you had RRSP contributions, investments or interest income — T5 slips or RRSP contribution slip
5. If you were enrolled in Canadian college or university — T2202 slip — this slip includes student loan and all school-related expenses such as books, labs, etc.
6. Medical or dental expenses (receipts) for the whole family – basically includes prescribed medicines, eyeglasses, dental work. For more info, visit CRA website: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/lines-33099-33199-eligible-medical-expenses-you-claim-on-your-tax-return.html#mdcl_xpns
7. Disability tax credit/ MB Caregiver credit — letter of approval from CRA/Manitoba
8. Child care receipts — with name and address of daycare centre, art or music schools, sports clubs
9. Charitable donations receipts
10. Rent receipts and landlord contact information
11. If you enrolled in a Canadian training centre or institution–training receipt.
12. Bank void cheque for setting up direct deposit.
13. Notice of Assessment of previous tax year from CRA — you got this from the mail when you filed your previous year’s tax
14. if you bought your 1st house last year — Statement of Adjustment from your lawyer & the property tax bill.
15. Intake form – filled out as much as you can, but if you have questions and need help, call us at 204-942-2238 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
There may be other personal situations that could impact your income tax. It is important that you answer the tax intake form accurately. Also, provide relevant additional information on a free space in the intake form.
New Journey Housing
200-305 Broadway Winnipeg MB R3C 3J7
(Corner of Broadway and Donald. 2nd floor right above the Starbucks)
OFFICE CURRENTLY CLOSED. Staff are working remotely.
Monday to Friday: 9:30 am – 5:00 pm