Filing Income Tax Returns
Filing income tax in Canada can be easy. The 3 videos we created above present an overview of Canadian tax and why it’s important for all Canadians to file taxes on time, how the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) could be of help to you, and what documents you will need ready when filing your tax.
Who can we file income taxes for?
If you have a simple tax situation, born outside Canada, and living in Winnipeg, New Journey Housing may help you file your tax return! Tax filing season starts in March and ends on April 30th every year. NJH can help you file your income tax returns during this period and even all year round.
To file your income tax at New Journey Housing, you will need to send us your personal tax information through 1 of 3 ways: 1. over-the-phone by appointment, 2. in-person by appointment, or 3. email with secure online link. After you have submitted your personal tax information, you will need to wait a few days for us to file your income tax. We will contact you once we are done with filing.
To start filing your tax returns, please call us at 204-942-2238 and look for Ireen or Tarek, OR email us at email@example.com. Tell us which of the 3 methods above you would like to provide us your personal information.
New Journey Housing is very careful to keep your information confidential and secure.
IF you have not filed your previous year’s (2021, and earlier) income tax,
we may help you file those, too! Call 204-942-2238 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
To see a list of tax documents needed to file tax, click here
SOME MORE INFORMATION: Visit Canada Revenue Agency for information about eligibility in the CVITP program here: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/community-volunteer-income-tax-program/need-a-hand-complete-your-tax-return.html
If you would like to file your own individual tax returns, click here for CRA-certified tax software that you could use: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/e-services/e-services-businesses/efile-electronic-filers/efile-certified-software-efile-program.html
STEPS FOR FILING TAX RETURNS AT NJH
New Journey Housing is affiliated with CVITP and may file your income tax return for the year 2022 or earlier. You must have a low to moderate household income and be a non-Canadian-born resident of Winnipeg in order to access our service. Our service is free-of-charge.
There are 3 options you may send us your information so we could file your tax returns 2022:
1. Phone intake (on a case-to-case basis)
2. In-person intake – for those that need language interpretation and extra supports
3. Electronic intake & document drop off.
To file your tax returns through #1 and #2 above, call us at 204-942-2238 or email email@example.com to set up an appointment. You need to devote at least 1 hour for phone or in-person intake. We will call you and see whether a phone intake could be done, otherwise we will resort to option #2 in-person intake. We do not accommodate walk-ins.
To file your taxes by #3: ELECTRONIC DROP-OFF, you will need to have internet access at home, have an email account, and some skills in uploading and downloading documents.
Below are 5 steps for electronic intake & drop off.
1. send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to inform us that you want to file your taxes by electronic drop off and provide your telephone number. We will call you to verify your ID using Whatsapp or Facetime.
2. we will reply to your email and send you (1) a Microsoft OneDrive folder link with your name on it, and (2) an online intake form.
3. fill out the online intake form on your computer or device, and scan or take photos of your tax documents. You do NOT need to scan every single receipt. Please check this link to see which are important documents you should scan.
4. UPLOAD all scanned documents in the link that we provided to you in step #2. After you upload, email us back to tell us (1) you have uploaded your tax documents, and (2) state that: “I am giving New Journey Housing through the CVITP the authorization to file my 2022 income tax”. Indicate your complete name and your spouse name (as applicable), at the bottom of your authorization message.
NOTE: spouses or common-law partners need to fill out 1 intake form only.
5. Wait for our email informing you that we have finished filing your taxes and a link for you to download your Tax Summaries in your own local computer/device. Email us back to confirm that you have downloaded and saved your tax summaries. Once confirmed, NJH will delete your documents that you sent to us in step # 4.
NOTE: our tax volunteer who will file your tax returns may need to call you to clarify your tax situation or documentation as needed.
*we consider newcomers to be those who were NOT born in Canada, no matter how long they have been living in Canada.
New Journey Housing
200-305 Broadway Winnipeg MB R3C 3J7
(Corner of Broadway and Donald on the 2nd floor)
Monday to Friday: 9:30 am – 5:00 pm