Resolving Rental Problems
Resolving Rental Problems
Avoiding rental problems can sometimes be a major concern. Knowing your responsibilities as a tenant or landlord is usually the first step to resolving a dispute. The Fact Sheet for Tenant and Landlord Responsibilities is a handy guide to learn about your responsibilities. Read it here.
When problems cannot be resolved between a landlord and tenant, legal action is usually the option. The Residential Tenancies Branch can help solve your rental problems.
You may contact New Journey Housing to seek for assistance about your rental problems.
Problem with Neighbours
The Community Resolution Centre can help for conflict resolution to succeed even
without involving the police or the courts.
It works with individuals and groups in the community – from family members in
conflict to neighbours experiencing a dispute.
Property Damage, Loss, or Fire: Tenant Insurance
Tenant insurance is very useful if you are renting. If there is a fire, flood, theft or other damage in your unit, tenant insurance can compensate you for those losses. Tenant insurance is not mandatory but it is recommended. Costs range from $15-$40/month – depending on the type of coverage.
Here is a helpful brochure with the basis of tenant insurance. Available in English, French and Arabic.
Bed Bugs and Other Pests
DailyPest has information about bedbugs–what they are, how they look like, how they reproduce, and such.
Bite Back gives you information on what to do to avoid bringing bedbugs in your home, and tips on ridding yourself of them if ever you get them.
House pests can be bed bugs, ants, flies, moths, mites, and many more. To ask the experts about how to deal with your house pests, visit Pest Control Canada. You may also ask the experts to identify the insect that you find in your home.
- Gives you information about bed bugs, how to prevent or get rid of them.
- For bed bug fact sheets that are translated into 17 different languages click HERE.
- Bed Bug Hotline for questions about bed bugs: 1-855-362-2847 or email email@example.com
- Preparation for Bed Bug treatment guide – Click on the file at the bottom of the page to download a well illustrated guide on how to prepare your home for bed bug treatment. It is very important to understand how to get ready for an exterminator to come and spray for bed bugs.
BEDBUG PREVENTION MATERIALS
For people who are looking for a store selling bedbug prevention materials, visit
Daniel McIntyre/St. Matthews
823 Ellice Avenue
They sell mattress covers, box spring covers, and interceptor traps for different types and sizes of beds.
- There are a series of videos for newcomers about living in Canada
- The “Dealing with Bed Bugs” video shows you how to prepare your home for bed bug treatment. It is also available in 13 languages!
- When you get to the northpointproductions.ca website select “downloads” and then select the video that you want to watch.
Getting Rid of Large Furniture
New Journey Housing
200-305 Broadway Winnipeg MB R3C 3J7
(Corner of Broadway and Donald. 2nd floor right above the Starbucks)
OFFICE CURRENTLY CLOSED. Staff are working remotely.
Monday to Friday: 9:30 am – 5:00 pm