Are You New in Winnipeg?
Are You New in Winnipeg?
As a newcomer to Canada and residing in Winnipeg, you can avail of many free services and information about your settlement. Here are the top 5 pieces of information we offer.
(1) Attend a Free Rental Workshop at New Journey Housing
New Journey Housing invites you to attend its Rental Workshop where you will learn all about renting and about being a tenant:
- where to search and how to apply for rental housing;
- what you can expect from a landlord and what a landlord expects from you as tenant (according to the Residential Tenancies Branch);
- what are security deposit and a move-in report;
- how to care for and be safe in your apartment;
- what housing financial assistance is available to you, and more!
(2) Search and Apply to Rent a Home
If you are still staying at a temporary accommodation, you can start searching and apply to rent your own apartment or house. Here are some places to search:
- Winnipeg Rental Network provides free listings and links for affordable rental accommodations in various areas of Winnipeg.
- Kijiji provides a wide range of listing of housing for rental and for sale within Canada. Simply select the province and the city of interest.
- RentBoard.ca allows tenants to search and landlords to advertise rental apartments, houses, condos and other properties across Canada for free.
- Rent Canada provides rental listings from property management firms across Canada. Search for the firm that operates within Manitoba.
When you find a house that you like, call the landlord immediately and make an appointment to see it!
Beware of scams in which people are cheated out of their money in the process of trying to secure a rental accommodation BEFORE arriving in Winnipeg. It is safer to secure a rental accommodation once you are already in Winnipeg.
(3) Apply for Rent Assist
After you move in to your apartment or rental house, you may want to apply for the Manitoba government’s Rent Assist Program that could help you pay a portion of your rent.
(4) Connect with Settlement Services
There are service providers in the neighbourhood where you decide to settle. You can find all of them in Manitoba Settlement Services. Contact them and find out what free support is available for you in your area
(5) To help you in other ways besides just housing
Manitoba Start – All newcomers should contact Manitoba Start when they arrive. Manitoba Start provides important settlement and employment information.
- Address: 271 Portage Avenue Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3B 2A8 Phone: 204-944-8830
Accueil Francophone du Manitoba – This is for FRENCH-speaking immigrants/refugees. They provide information about settling in Winnipeg, finding employment and also housing. Pour tous renseignements généraux, écrivez-nous à: email@example.com
- Address: 420, rue Des Meurons, unité 104 Saint-Boniface (Manitoba) R2H 2N9 Tél. : (204) 975-4250 Téléc. : (204) 231-0544
Immigrant Centre Manitoba – This is a good place to contact about settlement in Winnipeg and finding employment.
- Address: 100 Adelaide Street Winnipeg Manitoba R3A 0W2 Phone: (204) 943-9969 Fax: (204) 949-0734
Entry Program – This organization provides settlement orientation for all newcomers to Winnipeg and an introduction to English language and services for people needing to improve their language.
- Address: Unit 400, 259 Portage Ave. Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Phone: 204-944-0133
IRCOM – The Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization of Manitoba Inc. (IRCOM) operates transitional housing in downtown Winnipeg for newcomer families and provides onsite supports and services.
- Addresses: 95 Ellen St Winnipeg, MB R3A 1S8 OR 215 Isabel St Winnipeg, MB Phone: (204) 943-8765 ext 31
Welcome Place – Manitoba Interfaith Immigration Council Inc. (MIIC) or Welcome Place is Manitoba’s largest refugee settlement agency based in Winnipeg.
- Address: 521 Bannatyne Ave. Winnipeg, Manitoba R3A 0E4 Phone: (204) 977-1000
Family Dynamics – This is an organization that brings programs, partnerships and resources together to empower and strengthen families and communities in Winnipeg.
- Address: 401-393 Portage Avenue (Portage Place) Winnipeg, MB R3B 3H6 Phone: (204) 947-1401
New Journey Housing
200-305 Broadway Winnipeg MB R3C 3J7
(Corner of Broadway and Donald. 2nd floor right above the Starbucks)
OFFICE CURRENTLY CLOSED. Staff are working remotely.
Monday to Friday: 9:30 am – 5:00 pm