Moving to Manitoba?
Moving to Manitoba?
FINDING A PLACE TO LIVE
If you are planning to move to Manitoba there are new measures you must consider during the COVID19 pandemic.
Anyone travelling from outside of Manitoba must self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival. That means that from the day you arrive in Manitoba you must stay indoors and limit contact with others. This means no grocery shopping, no house searching (in person) and no interacting with others. If you are staying with family or friends when you arrive in Manitoba, they also must self isolate for 14 days. More information about self-isolating can be found here https://www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/index.html
Moving to a new country is easier if you have a place to stay. You may plan to live with friends or relatives, or you may need to secure a temporary place to stay like a hotel or short term rental. We recommend that you do not sign any long term lease until you have actually arrived in Manitoba and have seen the rental unit for yourself. This way, you decide if you like the area and the condition of the apartment/house.
There are two ways to rent:
This is usually temporary housing. There are many reasonably priced rooms where you can stay when you arrive. A short-term rental gives you time to look for a more permanent home. You should make a reservation before you arrive.
This is usually more permanent housing. A rental home may be an apartment, a house, or rooms in a house.
You need to apply to rent a home and you should have:
- an income (money from a job, savings or other support)
- a rental history (a temporary housing landlord can help you start your rental history by giving you a reference)
It is a good idea to make a plan before you begin looking for a more permanent home. You should know:
- how to apply for a rental home
- if you qualify for financial assistance
We can help you with a plan in our free rental workshop. You will learn about your housing options, when and how to apply for financial assistance, and your rights and responsibilities as a renter.
Financial Assistance for Renters
You need to qualify for rental assistance and can only apply when you arrive. There are two types of assistance:
There are many agencies and resources with on-line lists of rental homes. You may want to live in:
- a smaller city or rural area
- student housing near a college or university
Winnipeg General Listings
- Winnipeg Rental Network provides free listings and links for affordable rental accommodations in various areas of Winnipeg.
- Kijiji provides a wide range of listing of housing for rental and for sale within Canada. Simply select the province and the city of interest.
- RentBoard.ca allows tenants to search and landlords to advertise rental apartments, houses, condos and other properties across Canada for free.
- Rent Canada provides rental listings from property management firms across Canada. Search for the firm that operates within Manitoba.
Smaller cities and rural Manitoba
New Journey Housing
200-305 Broadway Winnipeg MB R3C 3J7
(Corner of Broadway and Donald. 2nd floor right above the Starbucks)
OFFICE CURRENTLY CLOSED. Staff are working remotely.
Monday to Friday: 9:30 am – 5:00 pm